The GEIPAN investigates observations using various specific computer tools that depend on their nature. The GEIPAN use the following tools:
- www.geoportail.gouv.fr for detailed mapping or aerial views and maps.google.fr for street view.
- www.google.fr/earth and modelling tools for 3D reconstructions in the surroundings.
- www.videolan.org/vlc et VirtualDubMod for video viewing and editing.
- Flightradar24 for aircraft routes.
- www.ipaco.fr for careful image and video analysis, in particular to estimate shooting angles, distance and size of objects, comparison pf radiometric profiles to estimate distance of objects…
- www.gimp.org et Photoshop for graphic presentations, scene overlay, use of digital filters or formatting.
- www.space-track.org to retrieve satellite orbit parameters (ERA) and space debris.
- www.winstars.net or www.stellarium.org for astronomical reconstruction.
- www.aerospace.org for information about space debris.
- www.boam.fr for meteoroid fall observation.
Except Photoshop and IPACO, all of these tools are free.